Mar 2, 2011

From Paper to Frying Pan


Do any of you like book scraping? Collecting all sorts of thing you like, then arranging them by categories and so on. I used to do it too when I was still in school. It gives me a good feeling seeing a compilation of my favorite things in an order. Things I've collected varies. At one time, I'm all about boy bands and their lyrics. Then, I grew on the sports person, particularly tennis. Well, at that time I'm so crazy with Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi and Martina Hingis. Hehehe... Ahh...memories...



I still do this book scraping thing now, but not as keen as before. And one major thing I collect is recipe clippings. It's not that I try all the recipes, it's just I hate to see it wasted as trash. Better I save it first, and who knows when I'll be needing it. And I'm glad I did what I did because the recipe I'm going to share next is a total keeper! ^_^

Fried Buns a.k.a Roti 'Paung'Terengganu:
Adapted from Sunday Star newspaper, recipe by Chef Zam (Seni Menjamu Selera)
  • 1 kg all purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbsp margarine
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 packet (11g) instant dry yeast
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in one big bowl, mix all together and knead well. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes to rise
  2. Divide the dough into 30 smaller pieces, shape them into rounds and arrange on baking baking sheet. Brush tops with margarine and cover with a clean towel for the second rising, 30-45 minutes or until doubled
  3. Bake at 180 C for 12 minutes or until golden brown
  4. Brush the tops with margarine again once out of oven. Serve with tea or coffee
I did not follow the recipe exactly as it is. Changes I made:
  • Halved the recipe and only got 15 buns 
  • Filled the buns with red bean paste *family favorite*
  • Deep fried the buns, 1 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown


The fried buns were AWESOME! The skin was crispy when you bite into it. And the inside...heavens! Soft and chewy with that moist bean paste center. I guess the buns are perfect school snacks for kids too! Enjoy.. ^_^
P/s: Another one for yeastspotting


8 comments:

  1. 1st time dengar roti paung..hu3

    ReplyDelete
  2. tu la...dats y cuba buat. rase cam pau pon ader... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hishhh...ble nk blik ni???anta laa cni....

    ReplyDelete
  4. anta mender...dh abis dh pon... ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rasa cam pau? Mesti keras sikit kot, kalau lembut mesti warna putih..he3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurm...camne nk xplain. nak kate keras mmg tak keras langsung...tak leh gak nk same ngan pau kan, pau tu mmg gebu. heheh..tp sbb roti ni dlm doh dia ader telur, dats y still lembut jgk. klau x caye, try buat! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there--I just noticed you recently joined at Apricosa--thanks so much for visiting!

    These fried, red bean-filled snacks look SO good! I love red bean paste and hope to find some (it's not very common in my home town) so that I can try making these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Erica,

    Thanks for visiting too. Actually you can try making your own red bean paste. I'm just too lazy to make my own so I just bought the pre-packed.

    There're lots of recipes on how to make the red bean paste as well as how-to videos. Just google red bean paste or adzuki bean paste. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis