Today is our third day of Ramadhan. We've been blessed with lots of food. As a matter of fact, our fridge is overloaded! That's what fasting do to our fridge. Kept it full for just... slightly longer than normal. It isn't past noon yet and I'm already thinking about food *Damn! Oopps... :p * Well, it's hard not thinking about food when you're fasting. Just keep it to minimum okay? *Note to self!*
While we are at the subject, I'd like to share this story of my sisters during one evening.
Sister #1 : Angah, Acik want to try baking something again after this. Can or not?
Me : Can...Remember the carrot muffins that I made while you're not home? Try that one. Go find the recipe in the recipe book. Mind you, I'm not doing any work for it. Ask Alang if you want any help.
Sister #2 : Why me? *at the same time taking the recipe book*
Sister #1 : Alang, hurry up.
And they both went to the kitchen. I tagged along of course. Just in case... So they went to work. Measuring flour and everything. Then...
Sister #1 : Alang, how much baking powder?
Sister #2 : Two teaspoons
Sister #1 : Looks like too little left in here. Is it enough? *showing me the spooned baking powder*
Me : Crap! Don't put the baking powder in!!! I need them for tonight. *I have this other baking project in mind*
Sister #1 : Then...how am I going to bake without this?! *sounds frustrated already*
Sister #2 : Angah, we forgot to buy a new one while we went grocery shopping yesterday. Now what?
Me : Okay, don't sweat. Put away the measured flour and go measure self-raising flour. Same thing, just no need to add baking powder.
That was only half of it. If I write all of the conversation, you'll be bored to death. At the end, the baked muffins were perfect. Moist and smells heavenly. Just enough sweetness for dad's approval. Two thumbs up for the girls! *I haven't thought adding chocolate chips in the batter. But the addition was unexpectedly good!* Here goes the recipe. You'll want to try it for break-fasting today. Literally finger-licking good!
Carrot Choco Muffins
Makes 14 regular size muffins
- 2 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 180'Celsius. Put muffin cups in muffin pan or grease your muffin pan, inside cavities and all over the top
- Mix flour + salt. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk eggs till frothy, add in the sugar. Mix well
- Add in buttermilk + corn oil + vanilla extract + grated carrot. Stir to combine
- Add in flour mixture + chocolate chips. Fold the batter just until it combines. No need to fret over small streaks of flour. It'll come together while baking. *Over mixing will harden the muffins' texture. You so-don't-want that to happen!*
- Batter will be lumpy. Spoon the batter filling the cups almost full. Then bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are golden and crackling and smells so-damn-good-your-stomach'll-growling!
- Let cool in pan for few minutes before turn it over on cooling rack. Best serves warm so you can enjoy the melting chocolate goodness! ^_^
- Refrain tasting the muffins right after taking out from oven. The melting chocolate in it will scorch your tongue! Believe me on this. I knew... O_O
- You might wan't to check their first adventure in the kitchen here