I wanted to bake some bread this evening. What I had in mind was the usual white, non-sweetened kind. But then, I had to stumble upon a gorgeous picture of frosted cinnamon rolls. Right then, all my good intention fly out of the window.
I-just-have-to-eat-one-of-that! So you know what happened next. I made it happened.
By tea time, we're all oohhs and aahhs between bites of the sweet cinnamon rolls...My sis ate hers by peeling the layers, savoring each bites. My lil bro as usual, help himself for a second despite the piping hot sugar oozing from the rolls...Ahh, can't blame him though. It was the best we ever had!
The Best Cinnamon Rolls Ever
Adapted from here
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 8 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, dissolved yeast in the warm milk. Then add the white sugar, melted butter, salt, eggs and all of the flour. Stir and mix everything until combine. The dough will be very sticky. But don't be tempted to add anymore flour.
- Work the dough with your hand until everything comes together. Use corn oil to grease the bowl and all over the dough. Cover with a cling wrap and let rise in a warm spot for an hour or until double in size.
- Once doubled, punch down the dough to let the air out. Sprinkle flour on your kneading board and rolling pin. Then, turn out the dough into the surface and knead it until supple. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar with cinnamon powder. Then roll the dough out to 16 x 21 inch rectangle, 1/4 inch thickness. Spread the softened butter for the filling all over the dough, and sprinkled evenly with cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll it up, pinch the seam close.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut into 12 or 14 rolls and arranged in greased baking dish. Let rise again until almost double, about 20 minutes. In the mean time, preheat oven to 175 C (350 F).
- Bake the rolls for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. While the rolls are baking, prepare the frosting.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla and salt. Spread on the rolls while still hot. *I didn't frost the rolls as they're already sweet enough for us*
Happy baking! ^_^