It's been raining on and off all morning. No wonder one might become sleepy again even though just woken up from sleep. Before the temptation to crawl back into bed overwhelm me, I better do some work first or else I'm going to end up like this one here!
|Do not disturb!|
Okay, stay open my eyes...
Let me finish up the birthday menu on my dad's birthday last week. It would not be complete without a birthday cake. But I haven't made one on that day though so I compensated it the day after. According to my sister, it was the moistest cake I've ever made. It should be or else I'm pressed to make another!
Chocolate Velvet Cake with Cranberry Whipped Cream
2 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter, softened but cool
2 Tbsp confectioners sugar
2 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 Tbsp cranberry jam
- Cake : Preheat oven to 175 C/ 350 F. Grease and line with parchment paper(with overhang) a 14 x 10 x 1 (inch) jelly roll pan. Set aside
- In medium bowl : Combine flour + baking soda + baking powder + salt + cocoa + sugar
- In large bowl : Beat together oil + buttermilk + eggs + vinegar + vanilla
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients until smooth and thoroughly combined
- Pour in prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in comes out clean
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Then carefully lift out to cool on cooling rack
- Cranberry whipped cream : Beat butter + sugar until soft and fluffy. Add in the cranberry jam + whipping cream. Beat on low speed until the cream has starting to fluff. Then increase speed to high and beat until stiff. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use
- Assembling the cake : Make sure the cake has totally cool off. Cut the cake into two equal rectangles. Invert one piece on a rectangular cake board, remove the parchment paper. Pour the prepared whipped cream onto the surface and level the cream just until half inch shy from the sides. Invert the other piece over the cream, remove the parchment. Slightly pressed the cake to adhere with the cream. Cover the whole cake with cling wrap and refrigerate at least one hour to hardened the whipped cream before serving.
- To serve : Cut into slices with a sharp knife dipped in hot water. Wipe the knife clean between cuts for easy cutting
Bon appétit! ^_^