Whose in for dessert put your hands up!!
So here it is, The Very Delectable Tiramisu Layer Cake. A confection of tender layer cakes soaked with coffee, smothered with fluffy whipped cream cheese, dusted with cocoa powder and generous shavings of dark chocolate.
Tiramisu Layer Cake
Makes 7 inch (4 layers) cake
2 cups whipping cream
8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
1/3 cup yogurt (room temperature)
1 cup confectioners sugar
In a clean bowl, beat whipping cream to stiff peak. Set aside. In another bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy then stir in yogurt. Add confectioners sugar. Beat until fluffy. Fold in the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Cover and store in the fridge so we can start on the cake.
2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups caster sugar
1/2 cup corn oil
4 egg yolks
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
4 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 160 deg Celsius
- Grease and line bottom of 4 (7 inch) round pans with parchment papers
- Mix cake flour and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside
- In a large bowl : Cream together shortening + sugar. Then add in oil and mix till blended well. Add in the yolks one by one and beat well until combined
- Alternately adding flour and buttermilk into the creamed mixture. Start and end with flour in three additions. Stir in vanilla
- In separate bowl : Beat egg whites till stiff peak forms
- Fold into the batter in three stages taking care not to deflate the whites until the batter is completely lightened
- Divide the batter into prepare pans and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning on to cooling rack and remove the parchment to cool properly
Constructing the cake:
3 layers of cake (I freeze the last one, but there's no harm if you use all four layers)
1 cup unsweetened coffee/espresso for soaking
Cream cheese filling
Cocoa powder for dusting
Dark chocolate shavings for finishing touch
- Place one cake layer on serving plate, brush with coffee until the top part is soaking wet. Cover with generous spoonfuls of cream cheese filling and smooth over with spatula. Dust with cocoa powder. Cover with another layer and repeat the steps until all layers has been used.
- The uppermost layer must be soak too. Slather with cream cheese, dust with cocoa powder and topped with chocolate shavings.
- Place the cake in fridge to set for at least 4 hours before serving
|I had to stick a skewer in the middle of the cake so the layers don't slide. The cream was quite soft|