Salam and good morning! ^_^
We've made it to the second week of Ramadan. Praise to Allah for this blessed month, hopefully we are able to make the most out of it.
Though it's still too early to be thinking about food, it doesn't hurt to get some ideas. Bread pudding can come either sweet or savory. I've done the savory one not too long ago. And here I'll be presenting the sweet one. It was no hassle to prepare, pretty quick to cook and the most time it took was during the soaking part. Be sure to start at least four hours in advance before the serving time.
Chocolate Chips Bread Pudding
Serve 4-6 person
12 slices of white bread (cubed and oven dried: 165 C, 20 minutes)
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Handful of nuts (chopped)*optional
2 Tbsp butter (melted)
- Prepare the bread. Once dried, put in a large bowl
- Mix beaten eggs + sugar + milk + salt + vanilla. Pour over dried bread. Cover the bowl. Let soak until most of the liquid has been absorbed (takes about 2 - 2 1/2 hours)
- 20 minutes prior to bake the bread pudding, preheat oven to 175 C (350 F) and butter/grease an 8 inch diameter round pan. Melt two tablespoon butter, set aside
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped nuts into the bread mixture. Then pour into the prepared pan. Level the top and drizzle the melted butter on top
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 - 40 minutes until top is crispy and dry to touch. And when skewer inserted comes out almost clean with no liquid seeping out
- Remove from oven and set over cooling rack until warm to touch before serving. Serve plain or with sauce *see notes below
I served the pudding with warm date sauce. Just chopped a cup of dates, pit removed. Mix with 2 cups water and 1/3 cup sugar in a small sauce pan. Cook over small heat until the fleshy parts soften and liquid reduced. The sauce should be slightly thickened. Add in 2 tablespoon butter, stir till melted. Serve warm over pudding. Bon Appétit! More bread pudding at yeastspotting.