Jul 20, 2011

One Fine Morning




What's not to love?

When soft and fluffy bread
Enveloping sweet, chunky filling
Inviting at breakfast
Take-away lunch when in hurry
Satisfying with tea

Be it pau
 Or bao 
Or even steamed bun
For who will care

As long as it is filled
And steaming warm...

Sweet Red Bean Pau

  • 240 g Hong Kong Flour *find a specific pau/bao flour in a box at baking section*
  • 1 tsp Double-Acting Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp instant yeast
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 25 g shortening
  • 30 g refined sugar*
  • 100 ml warm water*
  • 1/2 tsp white vinegar*
  • Red bean paste as needed (find recipe here)


  1. Dilute sugar and vinegar in the warm water, set aside
  2. In a medium bowl, mix flour + baking powder + instant yeast + salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
  3. Add in liquid and mix until comes together. Knead the dough a few minutes until it becomes elastic. Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled, 45 minutes to 1 hour
  4. Get your steamer filled with water and heating on the stove while making pau. Once the dough is ready, punch down the air out and divide into 10 equal parts
  5. Flattened slightly with your hand and filled with a tablespoon of red bean filling. Gather the seams upward and pinch the seams close
  6. Placed on rectangular-cut greased paper, seam side down. Let rest for 20 minutes 
  7. Cook in prepared steamer on high heat for 12 minutes. *Cooked pau should have puffed up and soft to the touch*
  8. Enjoy warm with tea or coffee! ^_^
Notes:
  1. I used all purpose flour in place of of the Hong Kong flour since I ran out of it. The only difference I noticed was the color of the pau would not be as white as the pau I made using that specific flour. 
  2. You can reheat the pau in the steamer for a few minutes to get the soft-fluffy texture back if it hardens or if you store leftovers in the fridge

Caution: 
Steam arose from the steamer will be extremely hot! Don't look inside the steamer after removing the lid. The hot steam could burn your skin! Remove the steamer from heat before taking out the pau.


P/s : I'm also linking this post to Yeastspotting.
















8 comments:

  1. lain dari yg lain nmpk pau ni...sume masakan ni buat sendiri ke?

    ReplyDelete
  2. never ever make anything from red bean or pineapple when im not at home!!!it tortures me to death!!!arghhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, this is me...just another acct...hehhehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. @faiz : lain sbb nampak tak cukup kembang ker? :D terkantoi plak! saje blaja2 buat sendri. tak dpt beli kat kedai, blh jgk buat kt umah. :)

    @sya : duh...shuld've known! dun worry urself. still got more left so we can make sumthing over the weekend. just remind me! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rajin buat sensiri.. Kalau dah byk menu, knp x buka kedai.. Mna tau blh kembangkan lgi..

    ReplyDelete
  6. at the moment tak ada dlm plan lg bro.maybe in the future. now setakat makan2 sendri dan kwn2 yg teringin nk mkn boleh la.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog! I think your facebook link is broken. Can you please post it so I can "like" it? Thanks! Or can I subscribe to your blog via email?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi amychien!

    Thanks for loving the blog. ^_^ It's my oasis to vent here and I'm glad you found something to like it here.
    You can check out the Facebook icon again. I've just added a networkedblogs link there since I don't link it to my personal page. Feel free to follow me there or you can subscribe me via my feedburner. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis